domingo, 9 de outubro de 2011

The times, they are a-changing

It's weird to slowly discover the disadvantages of growing older. Why? Because you start understanding some of the codes that "older" people use and you realize that you were wrong and they were right. Things really are different when you leave adolescent thoughts, ideas and ideals behind.

One of the bad things is the metamorphosis that relationships go through. You want to keep them, you want to make an effort and, at the same time, the gap grows wider and wider. And the funny thing is you might feel sad because of it and still be guilty of doing the same thing., Maybe we are all noticing the differences but we find ourselves helpless before that situation. Perhaps we're not all supposed to be a happy family forever. Maybe "survival of the fittest" applies, after all.

I find myself feeling endangered in other people's lives. Sucks...

2 comentários:

  1. Deep thoughts my friend... much deeper than your tribute to Poutine... mmmm Poutine.

    Anyways, here's some food for thought ;)

    I know when it’s time for a new haircut. That time is usually when I can look in the mirror and say to myself – yep, it’s time for a change. I know what I need to do in order to get a new haircut too. It’s that one conversation when I pick up the phone and ask for it. I’m acknowledging, publicly, that the haircut I have right now is no longer what works for me.

    When I acknowledge that my current haircut isn’t working any more, I run the risk of making what I have now bad. Like I have to find all the bad things about it to justify me not wanting it anymore and to, in turn, justify my moving on.

    “It’s a hassle to deal with.”
    “It doesn’t make me feel like myself.”
    “It’s boring. I can’t do anything with it.”

    The little voice inside my head rationalizes my choice for a different haircut by making what I have now not good enough. Instead of choosing to get a new haircut powerfully, I risk comparing what I have now to something that is better, more fun, and that fits more with my lifestyle. By doing this, I don’t acknowledge my current haircut as good, fun, or fitting with my lifestyle. “It’s neither of those things and THAT’S why I want out.” This degrades the haircut I have and the people that made it possible instead of standing in my choice to simply want a new haircut.

    “Where else could this show up in my life?”

    Re-read this post inserting the word job, relationship, or apartment to where haircut is found. A great reminder to be strong in your choices.

    ResponderEliminar
  2. WoW! Great comment.

    I recently had the same revelation...no that's not true. I had had the revelation before, but hadn't had the guts to make a change. I have now and all because I went through a thought process which resembled in part the previous comment. Sometimes it is not that one does not know what one desires out of life, but rather the fact that one might lack the courage to go after those desires. So, to sum this up, it seems like we could all benefit from going to see the wizard...

    ResponderEliminar